March 11, 2011

Facebook improves security with HTTPS and Social Authentication


I know this is really late. Facebook announced this security update on their blog in January and I totally missed it. Since this is a very important news, I feel the urge to post about it and inform at least my readers what Facebook have improved.






Facebook added two new security features into their website. First is the use of HTTPS. This system or technology allows your browser to communicate with the website and if their is a lock icon beside it that simply means that your connection is secured.


"Starting today we'll provide you with the ability to experience Facebook entirely over HTTPS. You should consider enabling this option if you frequently use Facebook from public Internet access points found at coffee shops, airports, libraries or schools." 
Another feature that Facebook added into their security update is what they call "Social Authentication". This feature actually replaces "tradition captchas", you know those words and whatnots that a website requires you to type in before you can do something.


"Instead of showing you a traditional captcha on Facebook, one of the ways we may help verify your identity is through social authentication. We will show you a few pictures of your friends and ask you to name the person in those photos. Hackers halfway across the world might know your password, but they don't know who your friends are." 
I was able to experience this Social Authentication thing from Facebook. I tried logging into my Facebook account using a phone. When I came home and logged into my Facebook account via PC, it required me to do the Social Authentication. Although I got worried since most of the photos are of people I do not really know (social networking, come on!) I was able to pass through the authentication phase and was able to login to Facebook. For me, it really shows Facebook's desire to protect its user's security and privacy. I even got an email once from Facebook saying that someone was trying to access my Facebook from an "unusual" location. Anyway, enough with the experience. I want you to check your Account Settings (then, Account Security) and check out this new feature from Facebook.


Source: Facebook







TechPump

Promote Your Page Too
Follow TechPump101 on Twitter

0 Comments :

Post a Comment